Information

Address: View on map
102 - 112 Research Drive
Saskatoon, SK  S7W 3R3
Frenchman Butte Location: 22 km W and S of Frenchman Butte, off Grid 797.
Fort Pitt was built in 1929 by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) to act as a halfway point between Fort Carlton and Fort Edmonton.

Located on the northern bank of the North Saskatchewan River, the fort was an important fur trade post and operated for approximately 70 years. In 1876, the site was used as one of the locations for signing Treaty Six and then in 1885 it was a significant site in the Northwest Resistance.

A National Historic Site of Canada, Fort Pitt features the archaeological remains of two different posts, interpretive panels explaining the history of the site, the Northwest Resistance and the signing of Treaty Six as well as a picnic area, washrooms and canoe access to the river.

13-May-2017 to 30-Sep-2017

Rates & Hours of Operation

  • Free admission

On-Site Amenities & Services

  • Picnic area
  • Pit toilet

Recreational Features

  • Geocaching

Attraction Features

  • RCMP/NWMP
  • Natural History/Natural Sciences
  • Settlement history
  • Provincial Historic Park
  • Roadside monument

Certifications & Affiliations

  • Museums Association of Saskatchewan member
  • Provincial Heritage Property Designation