ExploreSask Photo Contest Terms and Conditions
- New categories, including Food & Drink, Winter and Video
- Streamlined entry page
- In previous years, contestants could enter photos by using hashtags on social media. That feature has been discontinued for the 2022 contest.
- Individuals entering the contest will only be eligible to win one category, plus Grand Prize
- The photo gallery displays a rotating random selection of entries. Even if you do not see your photo displayed in the online gallery, be assured that your entry has been successfully submitted.
This contest is open to amateur and professional photographers. No entry fee or purchase is required. One major prize ($500 Visa gift card) will be awarded in each of the categories, with the exception of the video category, which has a prize of a $1,000 Visa gift card:
- Food & Drink
- People & Places
- Woods & Water
The Grand Prize winner, selected from the six photography category winners, will receive an additional $500 Visa gift card. The video category is not eligible for the Grand Prize.
Submitting entries: Submit your photos online at TourismSaskatchewan.com/Photo-Contest. Include the name and address of the photographer, specify the location of each photograph and indicate the category in which you are entering each photograph. Please be aware that Tourism Saskatchewan may place photographs in different categories at its discretion. By digitally submitting your photographs, you are acknowledging that you have read, understand and abide by all contest rules and regulations.
- Only digital submissions in commonly recognized file formats (.jpg or .png) will be eligible to win.
- Individuals may submit multiple photographs into each category.
- All photographs or video must have been taken within the province of Saskatchewan prior to the closing date of the contest.
- While there are no specific timeframe restrictions, entries should not look dated.
- Some electronic manipulation, such as cropping or adjustments to exposure, tone, colour, exposure etc. is allowed. Techniques such as compositing or any editing that introduces or removes elements from the image are unacceptable. Determination on whether a photo has been overly manipulated will be at the discretion of the judges.
- Photographs with watermarks or other embedded script (i.e. logo, signature, location, etc.) will not be accepted.
- Submissions that depict nudity, violent acts or unsafe practices (eg. improper handling of or interaction with wildlife, no lifejacket visible in a boating photo, no seatbelts while driving, etc.) will not be accepted. Tourism Saskatchewan reserves the right to reject any submission it deems inappropriate.
Video submissions may consist of edited footage or one continuous shot. Do not include graphics, animations or text. Do not include still images or slideshows in the submission. Maximum three video submissions per contestant.
Video technical requirements:
- Length: 10-60 seconds
- File type: .mp4 or .mov
- Aspect ratio: horizontal or vertical
- Minimum resolution: 1080p
- Maximum file size: 5 gigabytes
RPAS (drone) photography: In recent years, Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), or “drones,” have become an increasingly popular photographic tool. As of June 1, 2019, Transport Canada requires all drone operators to receive certification. In addition, operation of drones within some airspaces requires advanced certification or permission from relevant authorities. It is the responsibility of the photographer to ensure that all appropriate certifications and permissions have been acquired in advance. Contestants must provide evidence of certification and permissions if requested by Tourism Saskatchewan. For more information on drone operation, visit http://www.tc.gc.ca.
Eligibility: This contest is intended for participation of United States and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec and where otherwise prohibited by law). Entries from outside of the U.S. and Canada are not eligible. The winner must have reached the age of majority in their province or state of residence.
Contest Dates: Entries must be received no later than 11:59:59 p.m. CST on September 15, 2022.
Judging: Entries will be juried by an external panel. Winning entries will be selected based on technical skill and merit (composition, clarity, creativity and visual impact) and the ability of the material to capture the essence of Saskatchewan and the category theme. Entries should create “a sense of place” and evoke interest in travel to and within Saskatchewan. Images can reflect any season.
Rights: Photographic and video submissions remain the property of the photographer/videographer. Tourism Saskatchewan reserves full usage rights of all entries in perpetuity, without cost, for use in promotional materials in print and online forms. Tourism Saskatchewan reserves the right to showcase photos and video indefinitely on the website and contest promotional material. Tourism Saskatchewan’s rights shall not include the sale of submitted material to other parties or other commercial use. Credits will be provided where possible at Tourism Saskatchewan’s discretion.
Photo/Video Releases: Winning entrants must be able to supply a signed release for any identifiable person or persons in the entries, or their guardians, if requested. Failure to provide model releases, if requested, will result in disqualification of the entry.
Prizes: Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions, whether in cash or otherwise, except at the sponsor’s sole discretion. The sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equivalent or greater value if a prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.
Announcement of Winners: Selection of the winners will be made in October 2022. The names of prize winners, along with the winning photography, will be published on Tourism Saskatchewan’s website following the announcement of winners. Winning photography may also be featured in Tourism Saskatchewan print materials and may be featured in other media or public events.
Prize Release: By entering this contest, participants consent to the use of their names, images, likenesses and photographs of themselves, without compensation, in any publicity carried out in any media by or on behalf of Tourism Saskatchewan. Unless prohibited by law, within 14 days of receipt thereof, the winners may be required to sign and return the declaration and release form confirming compliance with contest rules and acceptance of prizes, as offered, and acknowledging the non-responsibility of Tourism Saskatchewan in respect to injuries, accidents and misfortune relating to the contest or the awarding of the prize or use of the photography.
Miscellaneous: Employees of Tourism Saskatchewan, its advertising agencies and participating sponsors and their families are excluded from participating in this contest. Entry in the contest is subject to all federal, provincial, state and local laws and regulations. The decisions of the contest organizers are final and binding in all matters related to this contest.