Getting around on Saskatchewan Highways

By Bus

Rider Express Transportation and DiCal Transport offer scheduled passenger services in Saskatchewan. Regina-based Rider Express Transportation services Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Swift Current with a fleet of 15-passenger vans. It also has 55-passenger buses with routes across Western Canada from Winnipeg to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver with Saskatchewan stops in between. DiCal Transport operates out of Melville and services that community, as well as Yorkton, Balcarres, Fort Qu’Appelle and Regina with 15-passenger vans.

Ferry Crossings

For a unique travel experience try taking one of our ferries. There are many seasonal ferry operations dispersed throughout the province. View further information regarding ferry crossing locations, capacity, operating times, etc. here.

Road conditions and driving rules

Saskatchewan has more roads per capita than anywhere else in Canada. Getting around is easy, once you know the rules of the road.

Find out current highway conditions across Saskatchewan by visiting the Saskatchewan Highway Hotline.

Rules of the Road

Speed Limits: Across Canada, distances and speed limits are posted in metric (kilometres and kilometres per hour). 1 kilometre or km = 0.6 miles; 1 mile = 1.6 km; 100 km/hour = 62.5 miles/hour.

Emergency Vehicles: All drivers must slow down to 60 km/h when passing emergency vehicles stopped on the roadside that have their lights flashing. This includes city police and RCMP vehicles, fire trucks, ambulances and tow trucks.

Children in Vehicles: Child car seats are mandatory in Saskatchewan. Children who are under the age of 6 years or weighing up to 40 pounds must travel in safety-approved car seats.

Seat Belts: Seat belt use is mandatory for all drivers and passengers in Canada.

Driver's Licences: Tourists from any other country are permitted to use their valid licence for a period of 3 months.

Insurance: Vehicle Insurance is compulsory in Saskatchewan. US visitors are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, which is accepted as evidence of financial responsibility in case of accident. This card is available in the U.S. through insurance companies.

Vehicle accident: If you are involved in an accident on the highway or in a rural community, contact the nearest detachment of the RCMP and your vehicle insurer for assistance. In cities, contact the local police service.

Trailers and RVs: Visitors travelling in RVs or vehicles with trailers are welcome. Trailers must not exceed 8'6" in width and 75'6" in length ; exceeding these limits may require you to pay a customs assessment. Any permits required are issued at the port of entry. Trucks pulling campers and boats should also ensure they meet these regulations.

Fuel: Gas and oil are sold by the litre (1.0 U.S. gallon = 3.78 litres). Diesel fuel is available along major highways and urban centres; propane is easily available in most centres.

Motorcycles: Motorcyclists are required to wear helmets. Motorcycles are permitted to drive two abreast.