Important information about hunting in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan has an automated hunting, angling and trapping licence (HAL) system in place.  Licences are available online any time, through private issuers, Ministry of Environment and select provincial park offices, or by phone at 1-855-848-4773. For information on hunting licence fees, firearm regulations and season dates, visit

Purchasing A Licence:

Anglers will need to create a Hunting, Angling and Trapping (HAL) identification to purchase a licence. This a one-time requirement. You can purchase your licence through any one of the following methods:

1. The online hunting, angling and trapping (HAL) licencing system

2. Through private issuers, Ministry of Environment and select Provincial Park offices;

3. By phone at 1-855-848-4773 (8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saskatchewan time)

All hunters (U.S., Canadian non-resident, Saskatchewan resident) 

What are the season dates for hunting big game and birds in Saskatchewan?

The season dates shown below are an approximate guideline only and vary within certain areas of the province. For exact dates, as well as licence and certificate fees, please view the latest Hunters' and Trappers' Guide.

White-tailed deer – September to December

Moose – October to December

Black bear – April to June/ September to October

What are Saskatchewan’s big game records?

Saskatchewan has produced more huge bucks than anywhere else in North America and is considered a premiere destination for white-tailed deer. Populations of black bear in northern Saskatchewan and moose also make the province an attractive place for big game hunters.

White-tailed deer (typical) – 214 4/8

White-tailed deer (non-typical) – 265 3/8

Black bear – 22 11/16

Moose – 233 6/8

A full list of official big game records can be found at the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation.

Non-resident hunters (U.S. and international)

What big game species can I hunt?

Non-residents may hunt moose, white-tailed deer and black bear with the services of an outfitter. Saskatchewan has hundreds of licenced outfitters, ranging from guided hunts for game birds or white-tailed deer to luxury fly-in lodges in the remote northern wilderness.

How do I choose the best outfitters to hunt with?

Saskatchewan’s licenced outfitters offer expertly guided hunts and are here to make your hunting adventure a successful and memorable experience. Tourism Saskatchewan’s Hunting Outfitters page gives you quick access to our database of licenced outfitters.

Entering Canada from another country

What type of documentation do I need to enter Canada?

Visitors to Canada must present valid identification upon entering the country. For U.S. residents, Canada Border Services Agency recommends a passport, because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. U.S. hunters are required to produce their passport or other approved secure document (NEXUS card, FAST card or Secure Certificate of Indian Status) when re-entering the United States.

NEXUS program members can present their membership card when entering by land, air or marine modes. Members of the FAST program may present FAST cards when entering by land or marine modes only.

Without proper identification, visitors may be denied entry at the border. For more information, visit the Customs Information section of our website.

Importing Firearms

All weapons – including firearms, mace, tear gas and pepper spray – must be declared to customs upon arrival. Visitors who are at least 18 years old may import ordinary rifles and shotguns for hunting, sporting use, competition, movement in transit, or for protection against wildlife in remote areas (excluding National Parks). The importation is allowed, provided the customs is satisfied with the circumstances of the importation. Under Canadian law, visitors are not allowed to import firearms and defensive sprays for personal protection.

If you were born after January 1, 1971, you are required to provide proof that you have successfully completed the Saskatchewan firearm safety/hunter education training or a similar recognized course from another jurisdiction before you can buy, hold, or apply for a hunting or trapping licence. If requested to do so by the licence vendor, you must produce a valid certificate or you will be denied a licence.

In addition, all hunters under the age of 18 must have a minor’s firearm licence. Applications can be obtained by calling the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.

For a list of prohibited and restricted firearms, visit the Rules and Regulations page.

Can I bring my hunting dog into Canada?

Your hunting dog can enter Canada with you, provided that you have a valid rabies vaccination certificate. The certificate must include the following information:

  • Information that clearly identifies the animal (breed, colour, weight, etc.) 
  • The name of the licenced rabies vaccine used (trade name), serial number and duration of validity (up to 3 years). If a validity date does not appear on the certificate, then it will be considered a one-year vaccine

There is no wait time after the date of vaccination to bring your hunting dog into the country. Rabies vaccination or certification is not required for dogs less than three (3) months of age.

Weather in Saskatchewan

Weather information and alerts

Up-to-date weather information and weather alerts are available from Environment Canada’s weather page.

Seasonal Averages

Saskatchewan summers are usually warm and dry. High temperatures range from 15 C (60 F) in May to the mid-30s C (90-95 F) in July and August. Nights tend to be cool. Winter weather (snow, freezing temperatures) usually starts in November and temperatures generally remain below the freezing point. Milder spring weather usually begins by April.


Where can I purchase maps and aerial photos?

Topographic maps, aerial photographs and bathometric maps can be purchased from Information Services Corporation. Visit ISC’s Maps and Photos page for information on ordering.

Important websites for further reference

Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment

Canadian Wildlife Service / Environment Canada

Saskatchewan Outfitters Association

Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation

Canadian Firearms Program

Information Services Corporation (maps)