Information about fishing in Saskatchewan

The information below will give anglers a quick overview of fishing guidelines in Saskatchewan. For detailed information on any of the topics below, consult the latest Saskatchewan Angler’s Guide or the detailed Rules and Regulations page. 

All Anglers (U.S. and international, Canadian non-resident, Saskatchewan resident)

How do I buy a licence?

Anglers will need to create a Hunting, Angling and Trapping (HAL) identification to purchase a licence. This a one-time requirement. You can purchase your licence through any one of the following methods:

  1. The online hunting, angling and trapping (HAL) licencing system
  2. Any Saskatchewan fishing licence issuer;
  3. Select provincial park offices or at the Ministry of Environment;
  4. By phone at 1-855-848-4773 (8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saskatchewan time)

What are the licence fees?

Saskatchewan Resident, Annual - $37.00
Saskatchewan Resident, 3 day (southern and central zones) - $19.00
Saskatchewan Resident, 1 day (southern and central zones) - $13.00

Canadian Resident, Annual - $75.00
Canadian Resident, 3 day (southern and central zones) - $40.00
Canadian Resident, 1 day (southern and central zones) - $20.00

Non-Resident, Annual - $100.00
Non-Resident, 3 day (southern and central zones) - $50.00
Non-Resident, 1 day (southern and central zones) - $25.00

Youth (under 16) and Saskatchewan Resident seniors (over 65) do not require a license.

What are the season dates for fishing in Saskatchewan?

While June, July and August are the most popular fishing months, season dates are divided between three different wildlife management zones across the province. For more detailed information about zone boundaries and special regulations in each zone, consult the Saskatchewan Anglers’ Guide.

Southern Zone: May 5, 2017– March 31, 2018
Central Zone: May 15, 2017 – March 31, 2018
Northern Zone: May 25, 2017 – April 15, 2018

How do I choose the best outfitters to fish with?

Saskatchewan’s licensed outfitters are here to help give you the fishing experience of your dreams. Tourism Saskatchewan’s Outfitters page gives you quick access to our database of licensed outfitters. You can also look at the database of licensed outfitters at the Saskatchewan Commission of Professional Outfitters (SCPO).

U.S. and International Visitors

Entering Canada from another country

What type of documentation do I need to enter Canada?

Visitors to Canada must present valid identification upon entering the country. For U.S. residents, Canada Border Services Agency recommends a passport, because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. U.S. hunters are required to produce their passport or other approved secure document (NEXUS card, FAST card or Secure Certificate of Indian Status) when re-entering the United States.

NEXUS program members can present their membership card when entering by land, air or marine modes. Members of the FAST program may present FAST cards when entering by land or marine modes only.

Without proper identification, visitors may be denied entry at the border. For more information, visit the Customs Information section of our website.

Importing Firearms

All weapons – including firearms, mace, tear gas and pepper spray – must be declared to customs upon arrival. Visitors who are at least 18 years old may import ordinary rifles and shotguns for hunting, sporting use, competition, movement in transit, or for protection against wildlife in remote areas (excluding National Parks). The importation is allowed, provided the customs is satisfied with the circumstances of the importation. Under Canadian law, visitors are not allowed to import firearms and defensive sprays for personal protection.

If you were born after January 1, 1971, you are required to provide proof that you have successfully completed the Saskatchewan firearm safety/hunter education training or a similar recognized course from another jurisdiction before you can buy, hold, or apply for a hunting or trapping licence. If requested to do so by the licence vendor, you must produce a valid certificate or you will be denied a licence.

In addition, anyone using firearms under the age of 18 must have a minor’s firearm licence. Applications can be obtained by calling the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.

For a list of prohibited and restricted firearms, visit the Hunting Rules and Regulations page.

Weather in Saskatchewan

Weather information and alerts

Up-to-date weather information and weather alerts are available from Environment Canada’s weather page.

Seasonal Averages

Saskatchewan summers are usually warm and dry. High temperatures range from 15 C (60 F) in May to the mid-30s C (90-95 F) in July and August. Nights tend to be cool. Winter weather (snow, freezing temperatures) usually starts in November and temperatures generally remain below the freezing point. Milder spring weather usually begins by April.


Where can I purchase maps and aerial photos?

Topographic maps, aerial photographs and bathometric maps can be purchased from Information Services Corporation. Visit ISC’s Maps and Photos page for information on ordering.

Important websites for further reference

Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment

Canadian Wildlife Service / Environment Canada

Saskatchewan Commission of Professional Outfitters

Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation

Information Services Corporation (maps)